PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
LOCATION: Technical Support
This position manages the operation of the Technical Support Department (TS). The position serves as the administrative assistant to the Director of Technical Support and other department staff, supervises clerical staff and provides various support services for staff and the public. The position promotes positive public relations for the school district.
Reports to Director of Technical Support. Provides lead direction to office secretarial and clerical staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages the operation of the Technical Support central office. Greets visitors entering the office and provides assistance. Answers the telephone and responds to inquiries; screens calls for TS Personnel. Receives and distributes mail.
- Provides secretarial assistance to the Director of Technical Support, the Network Administrator, and other staff as assigned; maintains appointment calendar; schedules meetings. Compiles data for and prepares reports and lists. Formats and types correspondence, forms, memoranda, and reports from handwritten drafts or dictation; duplicates materials. Types and distributes staff information. May attend meetings to record and transcribe meeting minutes.
- Coordinates work of office secretarial and clerical personnel; monitors work load; makes arrangements for vacation coverage and overload assistance; coordinates and delegates special projects as needed.
- Maintains records and files for staff information; maintains staff absence and timesheet records, and prepares department leave records for the Payroll office.
- Provides support for Office Managers and other personnel with programs such as SASIxp, ParentConnect, Microsoft Office, Email, etc.
- Distributes and monitors building keys to Technical Support personnel. Troubleshoots problems with office equipment and calls for service as necessary. Writes work order for custodial personnel.
- Prepares purchase orders; determines necessary office supplies; communicates with staff members concerning supplies needed; compiles annual departmental/library supply and material orders.
- Maintains departmental budget data; prepares monthly and quarterly budget summary reports. Verifies budget totals with central business office records; provides information to Director of Technical Support concerning budget balances. Records expenditures in budgeting records.
- Works with Accounts Payable, Inventory Clerk Specialist, and other personnel to verify the accuracy of purchase order and invoice/packing slip information; equipment inventory and work order records; and distribution of merchandise and equipment within district.
- Maintains files and records for district grants managed by Director of Technical Support; monitors grant balances; answers questions concerning grant expenditure guidelines. Keeps supervisor informed of grant activity. Assists in the preparation of grants.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records of software licensing for the district. Communicates with technical support and library staff in departments/schools for additional information or correction of licensing issues.
- Researches and communicates with vendors on pricing, availability, shipping and receipt of merchandise.
- Communicates on a regular basis with library staff, instructional technology staff, office managers, and school bookkeepers.
- Promotes positive relations with district personnel and the general public concerning the school district. Answers inquiries, researches data to provide information concerning technology programs as well.
- Performs a variety of related duties and special projects as assigned.
Office environment; experiences frequent interruptions; required to meet inflexible deadlines. Requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity, and precision. Occasionally exposed to high noise levels from technology equipment.
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent and five years of increasingly responsible secretarial experience, including records maintenance and bookkeeping.
Advanced technical training in secretarial, bookkeeping or accounting procedures may substitute on a month-for-month basis for up to five years of the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of secretarial and bookkeeping procedures; ability to maintain accurate records.
- Proficient in keyboarding.
- Skill in operating a 10-key calculator by touch.
- Skill in operating a variety of office machines.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to operate a computer.
- Experience with / knowledge of computer software such as Windows, MS Office and other application software.
- Experience with / knowledge of Internet and e-mail communications.
- Ability to learn federal, state, and district rules and regulations concerning accounting.procedures.
- Ability to set up and maintain an accurate filing system.
- Ability to attend to detail and follow tasks through to completion.
- Ability to organize and set priorities.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and remain flexible to changes in situations or assignments.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to detect errors in bookkeeping procedures.
- Ability to communicate bookkeeping procedures to school office staff.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff.