Talking Points for the 2019 Capital Facilities Bond
Core message: Our schools are facing a crisis of overcrowding and aging facilities. This bond funds a sharply focused plan: building two new schools; replacing and expanding two of our oldest schools; and addressing capital needs and safety improvements throughout the district.
If you have 30 seconds….
- Nearly one-third of the district's elementary classrooms are housed in portables.
- Existing schools are old and have out-of-date safety, security, and infrastructure, such as as fire alarms, roofs, and HVAC systems.
- The district is completely out of space to add more portables, and must now consider difficult and drastic responses, such as capping enrollment, eliminating preschool programs, leasing off-site space, year-round school, and double shifting (e.g. morning and afternoon schedules).
- This bond will provide immediate funding to build two new elementary schools and replace and expand our two oldest elementary schools, Artondale and Evergreen. It also funds replacement of failing systems, such as HVAC and roofs, to avoid school shutdowns.
- Vote by February 12, 2019!
If you have more time….
- Share a personal story of how overcrowding is affecting you and your school. For example, “Did you know we lost our science classroom, so science is taught from a mobile cart? At other schools, teachers work out of closets, kitchens, and improvised spaces in hallways.”
- The total bond amount is $198,550,000, which would be collected at an estimated rate of 0.79 cents per $1,000 assessed valuation. For a $400,000 house, this is about $26 per month.
- Municipal bonds are the financing method of choice for capital projects by virtually all cities, counties, parks, fire and school districts, due to their low interest rates and immediate availability of funds.
- The district has an excellent credit rating, with over a decade of clean audits from the state. Interim Superintendent, Dr. Art Jarvis, was specifically hired for his decades of financial expertise and successful capital projects planning.
If people have more questions, please refer them back to the district:
Full analysis: www.psd401.net/schools-for-peninsulas-children
Superintendent direct: firstname.lastname@example.org
Direct line to Superintendent's office.