PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
CLASS III CUSTODIAN
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Clean and sanitize restrooms/shower rooms and other fixtures in accordance with established practices and procedures.
- Clean chalkboards, white boards and erasers; dust and wipe furniture; sweep, mop or vacuum floors; remove gum from carpets, floors and furniture; empty wastebaskets and trash containers; refill restroom dispensers.
- Set up facilities for meetings, classrooms, conferences, and events. Assist students, staff and building guests as requested and appropriate.
- Strip, clean, buff and apply floor sealer and finish to floors; vacuum, shampoo, and spot clean carpets.
- Use and maintain assigned power equipment and hand tools such as vacuum, broom, mop, squeegee, dust mops, scrubber, buffer, burnisher, etc., for the cleaning and general maintenance of floors, walls, carpets, and furniture.
- Wash windows, walls, baseboards, lockers, and equipment.
- Lock and unlock buildings; secure building when facilities are not in use by checking for unlocked doors and windows; report any unauthorized occupants.
- Follow instructions regarding the use of chemicals and supplies.
- May clean sidewalks and driveways, rake leaves, mow grass, and help maintain school grounds.
- May move furniture, equipment, supplies and tools.
- May wash and dry towels, clothing, and other items for locker room and pool.
- Clean ventilation system grills and screens.
- Clean and change ventilation system filters as directed.
- Monitor all heating, ventilating and air conditioning systems for proper operation; notify head custodian or maintenance department if malfunctions are detected.
- Replace bulbs and lenses in emergency and exit lights, tubes in fluorescent fixtures and bulbs in incandescent fixtures.
- Monitor and provide minor adjustments to building plumbing systems.
- As requested, may be required to travel district-wide during times when school is not in session to assist with building cleaning projects.
- Perform minor repairs as appropriate to building hardware and fixtures.
- Perform minor painting as necessary and appropriate.
- Perform related duties as required.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience as a custodian in school or similar buildings.
- Demonstrated ability to work harmoniously with colleagues, supervisors, teaching staff, parents and citizens, and students in the age group served by the school for which the application is made.
- Demonstrated ability to perform job duties satisfactorily without direct supervision.
- No physical limitations which would prevent the applicant from satisfactorily performing job duties, including lifting, climbing ladders, etc., within recognized standards and limits.
- Satisfactory history of safe, efficient and effective use of custodial products and equipment.
- No record of any conviction for an illegal activity which is considered to be incompatible with the operation of a public school system.
- Hold a current industrial first aid card or willingness to procure at first opportunity provided by the District.
- Successful completion of formal training in boiler operation, HVAC systems, and/or other basic and advanced custodial subjects.
- Satisfactory performance in a school with the same age group students as that for which application is made.