This position is responsible for the coordination of assignments on regularly scheduled routes, special events and field trips necessary to meet the compliance of time schedules for safe and efficient transportation operations. Assists in maintaining a computerized fleet maintenance program. Aids in establishing and maintaining a positive, effective working relationship with Transportation employees, school staff, parents and community members.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepares, disseminates and follows up on a preventive maintenance schedule for school buses, pupil transportation vans and motor pool vehicles.
- Maintains daily records of shop preventive maintenance and repair activity and parts control and prepares and disseminates regular report on same.
- Assists in planning and scheduling the daily operation of the transportation system using a computerized program.
- Operates base radio and telephone communications for Transportation Department and dispatches messages to appropriate staff and others; responds to inquiries from district staff and public to provide information, direction and/or clarification.
- Maintains daily log system of transportation activities; coordinates field trips, including receiving and inputting requests into computer system, posting trips, assigning drivers and buses to trips.
- Communicates orally and in writing with building employees and community members concerning various matters regarding routes, trips, stops, changes, early releases, late arrivals, delays, etc.
- Accepts bus trouble calls, coordinates mechanics, replacement buses and drivers, as needed. Be willing to substitute drive as needed.
- Composes and/or prepares various documents and reports (i.e. bus stop locations, field trip information, substitute driver route lists and maps, substitute work loads, absence and substitute records, early dismissal schedules, school route maps). Ensures maps and enrollment forms are maintained and updated regularly.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Operations Coordinator and Transportation Supervisor
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent with five years experience in pupil transportation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Ability to instruct new and on-staff personnel in all areas of bus equipment operation,
function and handling.
Ability to work in an atmosphere where interruptions occur frequently and priorities
are subject to change.
Ability to schedule and coordinate routes and activities.
Ability to meet the physical and mental standards necessary to perform the duties, tasks
and responsibilities of a school bus driver.
Ability to operate standard office equipment.
Effective oral and written communication skills.
Ability to perform basic mathematic calculations.
Ability to read and interpret road and street maps.
Ability to interpret rules, laws and bargaining agreements.
Ability to make sound, appropriate decisions.
Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
Ability to handle distraught and difficult people effectively.
Ability to operate a computer and various software.
Ability to work effectively under pressure.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, parents and
the general public.
Possess a valid Washington State driver’s license with Commercial Driver’s License
Class B. Passenger and School Bus endorsement.
Possess a current first aid card.