PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
LIBRARY TECHNICIAN – ELEMENTARY
This position will be comprised of duties that will deal with daily library operations. Responsibilities include supervising students, support reading curriculum using library resources, processing new materials, checking books in and out, maintaining library records, and assisting students and staff in research, reference, and assignments.
Reports to the Principal. Receives work assignments from school Principal.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Monitors student behavior in the library. Answers questions and provides information concerning library resources; provides instructional support to students in locating and accessing materials to support classroom reading curriculum for all grade levels as well as assisting students with research, reference, and assignments.
- Monitors library files; types correspondence and forms.
- Monitors work of student library assistants and/or volunteers; trains assistants in basic library procedures; reviews work.
- Maintains card catalog; using computerized library system.
- Using Chromebooks, tutor students in computer use procedures; providing guidance, information and answers questions regarding google accounts as well as library searches; may oversee use of building equipment.
- Processes new books and materials; may stamp ownership markings. Repairs books; prepares books and materials for discard.
- Orders books, magazines, and other library materials. Receives and verifies orders; maintains records. Responsible for library budgets. Keeps staff and students informed of new resources using suitable review sources to ensure age appropriate materials.
- Checks books, library materials and technology equipment in and out; shelves materials. Prepares overdue notices and correspondence. Collects fees and writes receipts for overdue payments. Performs periodic inventory of books and materials; maintains inventory records. Enters library material information on computer.
- Maintaining physical appearance of library; picks up litter and straightens chairs. Sets up displays; creates bulletin boards.
- Organizes activities for special library projects, such as used book drives. Creates schedules for classrooms to attend special projects.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity, and precision. Experiences constant interruptions. May lift boxes weighing thirty pounds.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent with training in library procedures and two years of clerical experience. Library and/or classroom experience preferred.
Advanced technical training in library procedures may substitute on a month-for-month basis for the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Ability to monitor student behavior.
- Ability to deal with elementary or secondary school students in a caring and confident manner.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to organize and set priorities.
- Ability to learn the operation of computer and technology as needed.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students and staff.
- Knowledge of general clerical procedures.
- Knowledge of basic library procedures; ability to learn specific processes.
- Skill in operating general office machines.
- Effective oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of basic microcomputer operations and ability to learn the operation of specific software programs.
- Ability to lift boxes weighing 30 pounds.