PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL ASSISTANT
This position provides support to school and office staff and instructional and non-instructional activities for students in a classroom. Responsibilities may vary to include all or part of workroom duties such as copying, laminating and binding; taking inventory of supplies and materials; typing correspondence and forms; providing general office assistance; tutoring, correcting classroom work and monitoring student behavior; playground duty.
Reports to building principal, receives work assignments from office manager or teacher.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides assistance with workroom activities; duplicates and laminates materials; creates transparencies; binds materials. May scan computerized testing forms. Stocks workroom supplies; conducts periodic inventory of school supplies, textbooks and workbooks and maintains records. Assists in determining quantities for ordering KCDA and other materials; checks in new supplies and disburses to staff as needed.
- May type correspondence, classroom newsletters, tests, forms or teaching materials from notes or handwritten drafts using word processing equipment. May enter data into computer and maintain various data bases to prepare reports and lists.
- Provides general office assistance such as answering the telephone, greeting office visitors and providing coverage for secretarial staff during absences. Provides assistance to secretarial staff in maintaining files.
- Supervises students on playground; monitors behavior and ensures safety; fills out playground behavior forms as needed. Attends to students who are ill or injured, alerts staff if injuries will require first aid or medical attention. Assists in developing and implementing playground rules. Troubleshoots playground equipment; makes minor repairs; alerts staff if repairs are necessary.
- Tutors students individually or in small groups under direction of teacher, reinforces and reviews concepts and skills. Collects, reviews, grades and records student assignments. Assists teacher in maintaining student records. Completes student progress reports prepared by teacher, mails as requested.
- Communicates with teacher concerning student progress or problems; assists teacher in developing individual education programs as requested. Assists teacher in monitoring student behavior; disciplines as authorized. Acts as role model to students to demonstrate appropriate behavior.
- Assists teacher in maintaining classroom appearance.
- May assist with basic first aid care to ill or injured students. Alerts office staff if further action is needed.
- Performs related duties assigned.
Office environment; requires concentration and dexterity; experiences frequent interruptions. Exposed to infectious diseases; occasionally required to deal with upset or angry students and parents. May be required to work outdoors in inclement weather.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education and Experience:
High school education or equivalent and experience working with school-aged individuals. Experience in a school setting desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of general clerical procedures.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of basic subject areas such as spelling, writing, reading and arithmetic.
- Proficient in keyboarding.
- Ability to learn the operations of general office machines.
- Ability to learn the use of a microcomputer and various software programs.
- Ability to maintain accurate files and records.
- Ability to attend to detail and follow tasks through to completion.
- Ability to organize tasks and set priorities within established parameters.
- Ability to communicate with students in a warm and confident manner.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to remain flexible to changes in assignments or situations.
- Ability to organize activities.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Ability to be fair and consistent when working with students.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to monitor student behavior and enforce playground rules.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, students and parents.