PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
GROUNDS SEASONAL TECHNICIAN
This position performs a variety of grounds and grounds equipment maintenance. Duties include: maintaining attractive grounds areas; ensuring the availability and maintenance of required equipment; protecting against erosion; and maintaining grounds for assemblies and/or recreational activities; ensuring that assignments are completed in a safe, proper and timely manner.
Reports to Grounds Foreman and Facilities Director.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Cleans and maintains landscaped areas (including storm drains, rain gutters, irrigation systems, etc.) for the purpose of preventing flooding and removing hazards.
- Operates and maintains grounds equipment, thus preventing in-use failures and ensuring safety during the performance of their duties.
- Maintains service areas (shop, vehicles, storage areas, etc.) and assigned vehicle in a clean and neat manner.
- Operates mowers, weed eaters, aerators, fertilizer spreaders, pressure washers, and other powered equipment.
- Mows, weed eats, edges, prunes, disposes of refuse of all district grounds, etc., for preserving grounds in a healthy, attractive and safe condition.
- Plants and removes various landscaping materials (e.g. lawns, shrubbery, flowers, etc.) for keeping the areas attractive and protecting against erosion.
- Prepares and maintains play fields, athletic fields and areas (e.g. tennis courts, tracks, etc.) and play equipment, for providing adequate, attractive, and safe areas for assemblies and/or recreational activity.
- Transports materials and equipment to and from job sites using district vehicles.
- Maintains parking lots, sidewalks and other paved areas around schools.
- Assists other maintenance and grounds personnel in the performance of their duties.
- Responds to emergencies if necessary.
- Able to perform tasks as assigned.
Required to stand, drive a vehicle, or grounds equipment for prolonged periods. May be required to lift and carry heavy supplies and equipment. Will be required to wear protective clothing, (PPE) and is often exposed to hazardous materials. Required to work outdoors in inclement weather. Work with equipment, which has sharp cutting edges which require safety awareness. Will require travel between worksites, often towing utility trailer and hauling heavy equipment.
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to operate power equipment for grounds keeping in a safe manner.
- Ability to work safely and efficiently with minimal supervision. Must be able to
follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
Licenses/ Special Requirements
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License
- Willing to complete training in First Aid and CPR as required by the District
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint Clearance