PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
This position maintains and repairs heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment to meet Local, State and Federal requirements. Responsibilities include troubleshooting equipment malfunctions, new equipment installation, performing preventive maintenance and responding to emergencies of HVAC equipment.
Reports to HVAC Foreman
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Checks heating, ventilation, and air conditioning equipment for proper operating condition. Performs periodic maintenance such as changing filters, replacing worn belts and lubricating motors on equipment such as chillers, gas/oil/electric boilers, electric furnaces, air conditioners, heat pumps, dehumidifiers, air handlers, exhaust fans, dust collectors, cooling towers, vents, and compressors.
- Troubleshoots electric, electronic, and pneumatic control systems, including thermostats, relays, receivers, controllers, electric pneumatic switches, solenoid valves, damper motors and actuators, switches, sequencers, water valves, heating elements, programmable controls, electronic sensors, and printed circuit boards.
- Performs repairs on HVAC equipment; procures parts to repair or replace defective motors, pumps, compressors, electrical and other equipment to achieve the shortest ‘down time’ for equipment. Changes filters per established schedule.
- Confers with supervisor for decisions on whether malfunctioning equipment should be repaired or replaced; takes appropriate action. Keeps supervisor informed of unusual or costly situations.
- Installs new heating, ventilation and air conditioning equipment; ensures that equipment operates properly.
- Responds to emergencies, including those not involving HVAC equipment; restarts equipment in the event of power outage.
- Responsible for preventive maintenance on all HVAC equipment and systems. Performs mechanical tasks to modify existing equipment, ensuring code compliance and energy efficiency.
- Communicates with outside HVAC equipment contractors for warranty service. Provides information to staff concerning HVAC.
- Assists maintenance and grounds personnel in the completion of their duties.
- Works with DDC systems to manage and monitor building comfort levels and energy consumption. Makes changes and adjustments as necessary.
- Keeps accurate records, both manual and computerized, on equipment repairs and system modifications.
- Performs similar, related duties as assigned.
Required to work at heights or in narrow spaces to service equipment; required to visually concentrate on detail; required to stand for prolonged periods; exposed to high noise levels and hazardous chemicals; periodically required to lift and carry heavy supplies or equipment; occasionally required to wear protective clothing; occasionally required to work outdoors in inclement weather. Constant safety awareness required. On call for emergencies. Requires travel between work sites. Works in all weather conditions, at heights and in enclosed spaces with limited access. Occasionally works overtime, including weekends.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Maintenance/Grounds
Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED Certificate
- Documented work experience in building maintenance, preferred
- One year, documented, HVACR maintenance and repair
Advanced technical training in electrical systems or heating, ventilation and air conditioning system maintenance may substitute on a month-for-month basis for up to two years of the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to perform as a journeyman level HVACR technician.
- Ability to use power tools, hand tools, test equipment and specialized HVACR tooling, including acetylene-brazing torches.
- Knowledge of Local, State and Federal building codes, with ability to install materials to code.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of HVACR equipment.
- Knowledge of Automatic Building Control systems.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision.
- Valid Washington State driver’s license.
- EPA Universal Refrigerant Certification Card or Universal Technician License.
- Criminal Justice Fingerprint clearance.