Native American Education Program
Hello Peninsula parents and students,
The new 2015-2016 Native American Education Coordinator for the Peninsula School District is Joe Hunich. Our program—run in partnership through the Puget Sound Educational Service District— provides academic and cultural support to students with Native American heritage and their families.
I work every two weeks in every middle school and high school and by appointment in the elementary schools.
We provide cultural and educational work for students with Native American heritage, helping them with their school life while also teaching them about Native culture. In addition we offer college prep and scholarship support for high school students.
Here are the services our Indian Education program provides:
- Direct service support in Reading during the school day
- College prep support for high school students
- Classroom presentations or assemblies for all grade levels and all students
- Work with counselors to advocate for Native students and families
- Pay school-related student fees (ASB, athletic, credit retrieval, Boys and Girls Club memberships)
I look forward to working with you and your child to support their cultural and academic needs.
For more program information and links to other Native resources please click here:
PSESD Native American Education Program
My goal is to be an advocate for every Native student in the district, no matter their blood quantum, so they are thriving academically, learning about their heritage, and engaged in their school community.