Instructional Materials Review Committees
The Peninsula School District evaluates curriculum on an ongoing basis with reviews taking place when dictated by changes in standards or program requirements. When these reviews occur, we form committees, consisting of district staff and community members, to evaluate instructional materials. Those committees submit findings to the Instructional Advisory Council which then makes a recommendation to the superintendent and school board for final approval.
Assistant Director - Curriculum, Instruction, Professional Learning
Review Committee Purpose
- Guarantee adherence to Board policy and procedure regarding due diligence in the selection of instructional materials recommended for adoption.
- Through a consensus process, make a formal adoption recommendation to the district Instructional Advisory Council
Committee Member Roles
- Attend scheduled meetings (Typically three times per school year for approx. 2 hours)
- Commit to understanding the requirements for the content under review (standards, technology, etc.)
- Work in a collaborative manner to scrutinize instructional materials
- Review data collected regarding the instructional materials under consideration
- Serve as a communication link to the community