PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
PARAEDUCATOR – HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT STORE
This position provides assistance to students involved in business education activities. The position oversees students working in the student store, supervises inventory of store supplies, oversees counting of money, and provides clerical support for business education as requested.
Reports to Business Education Department chairperson or Distributive Education teacher as assigned.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees daily student store activities; monitors student behavior.
- Assists students in operating cash registers; troubleshoots minor problems occurring with cash registers; refers serious problems to supervisor for resolution.
- Supervises counting of money from cash registers by students; verifies money with register tapes. Assists students in counting money at end of day and in preparing daily deposit forms. Takes deposit to business office each day. Calculates weekly income and expenses.
- Oversees and assists students in conducting daily inventory of candy, pop, food items and other store supplies; calculates sales and verifies sales with cash register tapes and/or the daily deposit.
- Performs a variety of clerical activities, such as typing lists, using a word processor to generate forms and guidelines or typing correspondence and tests. Duplicates and distributes materials.
- Proofreads student assignments; grades and scores tests. Prepares class lists; enters grades and generates grade data report on microcomputer.
- Accepts delivery of items for student store; verifies items against invoices.
- Trains students in after-hours store operation; answers questions.
- Supervises and assists students with month-end inventory activities; uses computer to record inventory quantities and project earnings. Maintains records of damaged and donated goods. Confirms inventory at beginning of year with ending inventory from previous year. Creates spreadsheets concerning inventory records. May generate monthly reports of inventory, cash receipts, and sales for state auditor.
- Monitors student behavior in classroom during absence of instructor as needed. Ensures that students are working on assigned tasks.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Classroom environment; experiences frequent interruptions; clerical work requires concentration, dexterity and precision.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education & Experience
High school graduation or equivalent with training or work experience involving bookkeeping or retail sales. Experience in working with adolescents preferred. Passing scores on the District Skills Test. Must have passing scores on the Para Pro Test or Associates degree and or Bachelor’s degree.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of general bookkeeping procedures.
- Proficient in keyboarding.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to monitor student behavior.
- Ability to attend to detail and follow tasks through to completion.
- Ability to organize activities.
- Ability to remain flexible to changes in assignments or situations.
- Ability to deal with students in a warm and confident manner.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Ability to be fair and consistent when working with students.
- Ability to learn the operation of general office machines, cash register, micro-computers, and software.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff.