PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
PARAEDUCATOR – LEARNING ASSISTANCE PROGRAM
This position carries out remediation activities for students in the Learning Assistance Program (LAP) under the direction of a certificated teacher. Responsibilities include tutoring students individually or in small groups, maintaining program records, and preparing classroom materials.
Reports to LAP Program Specialist and school Principal; receives work assignments from supervisors and classroom teacher.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Tutors students individually or in small groups in a variety of subject areas. Determines methods that will best serve individual students; ensures student understanding of materials presented. Promotes a positive attitude toward learning. Reinforces and reviews concepts and skills.
- Pulls students out of regular classroom for remediation as directed. Monitors student behavior during remediation sessions; encourages students to stay on task and complete assignments.
- Communicates with classroom teacher concerning individual student needs and progress; develops schedules for tutoring; assists in planning process. Assists with data collection and record-keeping for behavioral intervention; monitors and reinforces student performance.
- Documents progress of assigned students; maintains records and assists teacher in preparing student progress reports. Files a variety of program materials. Ensures that student records are maintained in a confidential manner.
- Assists in administering program-related achievement and diagnostic tests; corrects tests and records scores. Compiles listings of students eligible for LAP as assigned. May carry out informal assessment of students. Checks and scores student assignments.
- May operate a computer using educational software programs for students instruction; demonstrates proper use of equipment to students.
- Constructs learning tools such as flashcards, number games, and other learning materials; provides assistance to classroom teacher in designing lesson plans; compiles materials for student assignments.
- Previews and sets up computer software as needed.
- Communicates regularly with LAP program specialist; forwards summary of student progress reports; acts as liaison between teacher and LAP program specialist concerning student attitudes, emotional needs, and progress.
- Attends program-related staff meetings and in-service training sessions to update knowledge.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Classroom environment. Experiences interruptions; requires flexibility due to frequent shifts in focus between assignments. Exposed to infectious diseases carried by students.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education & Experience
High school graduation or equivalent and one year of experience in working with school-aged individuals. Experience in a tutorial program preferred. Passing scores on the District Skills Test. Must have passing scores on the Para Pro Test or Associates degree and or Bachelor’s degree.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of assigned subject areas.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Keyboarding skill.
- Ability to learn effective instructional methods for special needs students.
- Ability to deal with students in a warm and confident manner.
- Ability to follow instructions.
- Ability to learn the operation of general office machines, microcomputers and software.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff.