Why we are sending home devices with students?
Our goal is to foster a learner-focused environment where all learners have voice, choice, time for reflection, opportunities for innovation, opportunities for critical thinking, problem solving/finding, self-assessment, and connected learning. PSD Possibilities will provide a device for every student in the Peninsula School District. Students in grades sixth through twelfth will take their assigned Chromebook to and from school each day. We understand that providing a device alone will not make this change happen, although it will accelerate the possibility for change. By ensuring our learners have equitable access to the tools needed to learn, we are empowering learning that will extend beyond the classroom.
Technology and the Curriculum
Schoology, our district learning management system is used in all secondary and some elementary schools. It provides a dynamic student-centric learning environment.
With the combination of access to Chromebooks throughout the school day and at home and quality instructional practices, our students will be able to:
- leverage technology to take an active role in choosing, achieving and demonstrating competency in their learning goals, informed by the learning sciences;
- recognize the rights, responsibilities and opportunities of living, learning and working in an interconnected digital world, and they act and model in ways that are safe, legal and ethical;
- critically curate a variety of resources using digital tools to construct knowledge, produce creative artifacts and make meaningful learning experiences for themselves and others;
- use a variety of technologies within a design process to identify and solve problems by creating new, useful or imaginative solutions;
- develop and employ strategies for understanding and solving problems in ways that leverage the power of technological methods to develop and test solutions;
- communicate clearly and express themselves creatively for a variety of purposes using the platforms, tools, styles, formats and digital media appropriate to their goals;
- use digital tools to broaden their perspectives and enrich their learning by collaborating with others and working effectively in teams locally and globally.
International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). ISTE standards for students.
Retrieved from https://www.iste.org/standards/for-students