PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
SECRETARY – HIGH SCHOOL
This position provides secretarial support for the Assistant Principals and the Dean of Students. Responsibilities include typing and filing correspondence, forms, and reports; maintaining discipline records.
Reports to Assistant Principals, Dean of Students and Principal. Receives lead direction from Office Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Types correspondence, forms, reports, and memoranda for the Assistant Principals, and Dean of Students. Duplicates and distributes typewritten copy and pre-printed information. Ensures confidentiality of disciplinary letters and other materials.
- Maintains school website with emergency information; supports parent/student/teacher communication.
- Creates, maintains and updates staff reference manual.
- Gathers information and prepares, emails and posts on the website (reads over PA system when necessary) morning announcements.
- Creates coursebook by prompting the course decision procedure; works closely with department chairs to ensure a quality, comprehensive course catalog.
- Prepares, enters in SASI and mails discipline and follows up on school service.
- Answers the telephone and responds to inquiries concerning school events. Assists visitors to the school when coming to the main office.
- Works in collaboration with administration, staff and teachers to support a safe and welcoming environment for all students.
- Schedules appointments, answers the telephone and processes confidential staff evaluations for Assistant Principals. Assists principal in coordinating special events and assemblies.
- Assists in graduation proceedings by collecting legal names for graduation diplomas, creating graduation program.
- Process lunch pass application and creates passes for seniors.
- Collects Student Rights and Responsibility forms. Enters in Web Warden; creates Student Agenda/Planner and staff and student recognition brochure.
- WASL-assists in coordinating testing for Washington Assessment of Student Learning.
- Performs a variety of other office duties such as maintaining daily conference room schedule, duplicating and distributing materials, providing first aid care to injured or ill students in the absence of the school nurse, overseeing work of student office assistants, and filing. Provides backup assistance to manager during absences.
- Onsite repair contact for copy machines. Share responsibility in stocking paper and supplies for machines. Trouble shoots for minor repairs.
- Performs a variety of related duties as assigned.
Office environment; experiences frequent interruptions; occasionally required to meet inflexible deadlines. Requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity, and precision. Occasionally exposed to infectious diseases when working in the health room.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent with training in secretarial procedures and three years of secretarial experience, including maintaining detailed records and contact with the public.
Advanced technical training in secretarial procedures may substitute on a month-for-month basis for up to two years of the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of secretarial practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of correct grammar, spelling, and English usage.
- Proficient in keyboarding.
- Skill in operating a variety of office machines.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to operate word processing equipment.
- Ability to learn the operation of a microcomputer.
- Ability to set up and maintain an accurate filing system.
- Ability to attend to detail and follow tasks through to completion.
- Ability to organize and set priorities.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to remain flexible to changes in schedules and priorities.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the general public.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students, staff and the community.
Must complete training in first aid and CPR as required by the District.