PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
SECRETARY – HUMAN RESOURCES
LOCATION: Educational Service Center
This position serves as Secretary to the Human Resources Manager. Responsibilities include maintaining confidential files and records; duplicating and distributing files, assisting with Risk Management, Unemployment and L&I claims. This position also provides assistance to the Human Resources Department.
Reports to the Human Resources Manager
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receives and processes Risk Management claims; creates and maintains a database, consults with Human Resources Manager on claims as required. May require tracking costs, invoices; create files. Assist with yearly RAS survey tracking next steps for completion.
- Receives and processes L&I claims; creates and maintains a database, consults with Human Resources Manager on claims as required. Sends out Leave Claim form as needed; tracks dates off work; creates files.
- Assists with gathering information for Records Requests, makes copies and distributes as needed.
- Receives and processes Unemployment Claims. Researches and copies requested information; forwards to Human Resources Manager for signature; returns forms for processing; reviews bills for accuracy, notifies manager of any discrepancies; files paperwork.
- Schedules conference rooms, contacts appropriate staff members and/or outside contacts to schedule investigation conferences, union and grievance meetings, etc., as requested.
- Processes Classified Funds paperwork; creates and maintains spreadsheet; contacts employees if missing paperwork; forwards to Human Resource Manager for signature.
- Creates and maintains a variety of reports, documents and materials using Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and other formats appropriate for reporting needs.
- Duplicates and distributes a variety of confidential materials such as correspondence, personnel files, investigation files, etc., as required. File, make binders, folders and assist with organization, as needed.
- Formats, types and edits correspondence (often confidential), proofreads, duplicates and distributes as necessary. May compose routine correspondence as needed.
- Provides backup support for online application program for certificated and classified positions as needed.
- Provides backup support in determining whether or not an employee is eligible for Family Medical Leave Act; sends out appropriate letters to employees notifying them of their eligibility or non-eligibility based on specific criteria of the law.
- May provide support in creating purchase orders for conferences, meetings, office supplies, etc.
- Provides assistance to other Human Resources staff as needed.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education and Experience
High school graduate or equivalent and five years of secretarial experience; strong computer skills/experience in a variety of software programs, especially spreadsheet and database.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience and skills to operate a personal computer and specific software programs, including creating databases and spreadsheet files.
- General secretarial procedures and processes.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the public; friendly, customer service-oriented attitude is essential.
- Strict confidentiality is essential.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, multi-task and remain flexible.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative.
- Knowledge of procedures and practices of general human resources.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and filing system.
- Ability to organize and set priorities.
- Excellent oral and written skills.
- Knowledge of correct grammar, spelling and English usage.