PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
LOCATION: Maintenance & Operations
This position provides secretarial support to the Director of Facilities and Custodial Supervisor. Responsibilities include bookkeeping and invoicing; budget and expenditure reports; answering the telephone and relaying emergency calls; logging, distributing and tracking work orders; preparing and recording purchase orders; and coordinating work assignments for substitute custodial staff.
Reports to Director of Facilities and Custodial Supervisor.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Places and receives telephone calls and greets visitors; provides information or routes caller to appropriate staff member; takes messages. Evaluates problems to determine appropriate referral needed; forwards emergency calls to proper person immediately or determines who can respond to emergency.
- Receives and date stamps all work order requests; determines if they are an emergency and if so, notifies the appropriate person. Monitors work orders as necessary.
- Determines if Purchase Order or Direct Order is required, assigns all requisition numbers and obtains appropriate signature. Processes and follows up on purchase orders; maintains account balances ensuring that purchase order amount is not exceeded.
- Receives and verifies amounts on packing slips; attaches slips to purchase orders. Receives invoices and matches them to packing slips and purchase orders; ensures that invoice has not already been paid; researches discrepancies; forwards to Accounts Payable.
- Creates, evaluates, monitors, distributes and files monthly financial reports through the WISE system.
- Maintains confidential database of all staff, assignments, hours, rates of pay, etc. Types and processes appropriate paperwork and submits to Human Resources and Payroll departments. Receives, verifies and codes all timesheets. Tracks and records leave taken by employees, determining whether a substitute will be necessary. Notifies Deputy Superintendent’s office of any L&I claims, submits paperwork .
- Receives calls from custodial staff who will be absent from work; coordinates with Custodial Supervisor to determine assignments of substitute custodial staff. Schedules training for substitute custodians; refers serious problems concerning substitutes to supervisor for action. Pages employees to relay important messages.
- Composes, types, distributes, and files correspondence, reports, memoranda, and forms. Obtains, organizes, and summarizes data as requested.
- Maintains departmental files, researches files as necessary to provide information. Maintains Master Task Calendar for department. Creates and maintains department procedures manual and handbooks. Arranges for fax and copier repairs as needed; maintains inventory of office supplies and orders as needed. Distributes departmental mail.
- Performs a variety of related duties as assigned.
Office environment; experiences frequent interruptions; expected to meet inflexible deadlines; requires dexterity and precision; required to sit for prolonged periods. Requires dealing with upset or angry employees.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent, training in secretarial procedures and three years of increasingly responsible secretarial experience, including record-keeping. Experience in a construction or maintenance environment desirable.
Advanced technical training in secretarial procedures may substitute on a month-for-month basis for up to two years of the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of secretarial practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of correct grammar, spelling, and English usage.
- Knowledge of general bookkeeping procedures; ability to maintain accounting ledgers.
- Proficient in keyboarding.
- Skill in operating general office machines.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Effective customer service skills.
- Ability to operate a 10-key calculator.
- Ability to operate word processing equipment.
- Ability to learn the operation of a microcomputer and software programs.
- Ability to set up and maintain an accurate filing system.
- Ability to attend to detail and follow tasks through to completion.
- Ability to organize and set priorities.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the public.