PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
LOCATION: Student Services
This position provides secretarial support in the Student Services Department. Responsibilities include typing correspondence and reports, filing information, distributing Student Services materials, and duplicating information. This position provides back-up assistance to other departmental secretarial staff and communicates with the public, staff members and parents.
Reports to Program Administrator, Early Childhood/Inclusive and Director of Student Services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Types correspondence, memoranda, handbooks and other materials from handwritten drafts, corrected copy or machine dictation. Proofreads, edits and distributes typewritten copy.
- Schedules appointments for Childfind Program; answers telephone calls and provides information regarding program to parents and others. Types and distributes Childfind correspondence. Schedules Childfind screenings; types results of screening tests, maintains Childfind files.
- Maintains preschool waiting lists, contacts parents regarding vacancies and new classes. Mails appropriate registration forms and coordinates current information with parents.
- Receives and inputs data concerning monthly reassessments for elementary students.
- Coordinates transportation arrangements for elementary special needs students; acts as liaison between building administrators, parents, and the Transportation Department.
- Maintains confidential psychological report data; forwards data received to specified staff members.
- Places and receives telephone calls; answers inquiries and provides information concerning student services; routes callers to appropriate staff member; records and relays messages.
- Opens, sorts and distributes in-district mail; maintains departmental files for memoranda, documents, and correspondence. Researches files as necessary to provide information.
- Obtains, gathers, and organizes data as requested; formats data into usable form; determines confidentiality of information for filing.
- Provides backup assistance to other departmental secretaries; types correspondence and forms, arranges appointments, sets up rooms for meetings.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Office environment; experiences frequent interruptions; requires visual concentration on detail, dexterity and precision.
AFFILIATION: PSE – Clerical
Education and Experience
High school graduation or equivalent with training in secretarial procedures and three years of secretarial experience. School district experience or exposure to special services programs desirable.
Advanced technical training in secretarial procedures may substitute on a month-for-month basis for up to one year of the required experience.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of secretarial practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of correct grammar, spelling and English usage.
- Proficient in keyboarding.
- Skill in operating a variety of office machines.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to operate word processing equipment.
- Ability to learn the operation of a microcomputer and specific software programs.
- Ability to transcribe machine dictation.
- Ability to set up and maintain an accurate filing system.
- Ability to attend to detail and follow tasks through to completion.
- Ability to organize and set priorities.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with parents, staff, and the general public.