Summer Satellite Academy is a partnership between Peninsula School District and West Sound Technical Skills Center – and it is free to students and their families!
It is a great opportunity for students who want to
- make more room in their regular schedule for courses
- get a head start on their high school career
- recover course credit
Students will be in one class 6.5 hours a day, allowing for them to participate in valuable activities with fewer time constraints. Upon completion of the course, students will earn a letter grade and .5 credits toward graduation.
Who: Students who will be enrolled in high school for the 2019 – 2020 school year
Where: Gig Harbor High School, 5101 Rosedale St NW, Gig Harbor WA 98335
When: Monday, July 15th – Thursday, August 1st, 2019
Time: 8:00am – 3:00pm with a 1/2 hour lunch
Lunch and transportation provided!
What courses are available?
College, Career, & Financial Exploration
- CCFE equips you with the knowledge and skills that will help connect post-high school education and employment. You will explore careers of interest and understand the steps to achieve success. You will gain practical consumer and life skills.
- .5 CTE Credit & CCFE Graduation Requirement
- Combines the disciplines of geology, biology, zoology, chemistry, geography, and toxicology. It provides you with the scientific principles and concepts to understand the interrelationships of the natural world.
- Fulfills .5 CTE Credit & Science Credit
- Health includes the physical, mental, social, and emotional aspects of wellness. Students review nutritional standards, develop goals, resolve conflict, and analyze responsibilities related to their human sexuality, the use of drugs, disease transmission, and CPR.
- Fulfills .5 CTE Credit & Health Graduation Requirement
Sports Medicine: Personal Trainer
- Sports Medicine will cover care and prevention, treatment, rehabilitation of sports injuries, taping and wrapping of injuries, first aid, emergency procedures, and other clinical procedures common to sports medicine.
- Fulfills .5 CTE & Physical Education Credit
- This course is designed for you if you are interested in advancing your knowledge of other cultures while gaining experience in food preparations skills. You will study a variety of countries, explore their cultures, history of food practices, beliefs and taboos, and use of herbs and spices, and unique culinary techniques.
- Fulfills .5 CTE
- Aerospace technology is an exploration into the science of flight and the impact of aero-technology on our world. You will design, build, and fly working prototype that actively apply the scientific principles and technologies of flight.
- Fulfills .5 CTE & Science Credit
Please check the route listings below to find out which is the most convenient route.
Pick up times for the first few days are approximate. Please be at the designated location earlier than the time shown.
For further information about transportation, please contact Stephanie O’Brien-Fors at (253) 530-3902.
Note: The schedules posted on this page are subject to change between now and the beginning of summer school. Please check back for more up-to-date information.
How to Register?
Registration will be open at West Sound Tech beginning April 15, 2019!