PENINSULA SCHOOL DISTRICT
SYSTEMS INTEGRATION TECHNICIAN
The System Integration Technician’s roles is to operate and tune Linux/Open Source systems, servers and other system integration related components to ensure high levels of availability and security of the core organizational applications. This individual also participates in the planning and implementation of system monitoring, maintenance and support of all networked software and operating systems. Where applicable this individual will also provide end-user support and troubleshooting of applications and software.
This position reports to the Technical Support Supervisor
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Strategy & Planning
- Participate in and support capacity planning and the development of long-term strategic goals for systems and software in conjunction with end-users and department managers.
- Where applicable, investigate and qualify potential areas in which to introduce web services.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Conduct research on client/server hardware, software, and protocols in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Install and configure Linux systems and software.
- Field incoming problem tickets and help desk calls from end users to resolve application and software issues within servers, databases, and other mission-critical systems.
- Implement policies, procedures, and technologies (including firewalls) to ensure Linux/Open Source system security through secure system access, monitoring, control, and routine security evaluations.
- Gauge the effectiveness and efficiency of existing systems; develop and implement strategies for improving of further leveraging these systems.
- Define and implement strategies for integrating disparate operating system environments.
- Collaborate with technology team members, end users, and other stakeholders to integrate systems and other data together.
- Determine required network components to ensure data access, as well as data consistency and integrity.
- Coordinate and perform in-depth tests, including end-user reviews, for modified and new systems.
- Communicate application problems and issues to key stakeholders, including management, and end users.
- Perform and test system backups and restores to ensure system recovery from error or outage.
- Anticipate, mitigate, identify, troubleshoot, and resolve hardware and software problems on all Linux/Open Source systems.
- Monitor, test, and tune system performance; preserve and provide system log files as needed.
- Recommend and execute modifications to Linux/Open Source systems in order to improve efficiency, reliability, and performance.
Formal Education & Certification
- High School diploma or equivalent, and/or 3 years work experience in related field.
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience installing, configuring, and maintaining Linux/Open Source servers and software.
- Hands-on hardware and software troubleshooting experience.
- Good technical knowledge of current network hardware and standards.
- Familiarity with TCP/IP protocols, firewall management, and database administration.
- Working technical experience with relational database servers.
- Strong understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Good written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to conduct research into Linux/Open Source issues and products as required.
- Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language.
- Highly self-motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Team-oriented and skilled in working within a collaborative environment.
- Occasional evening and weekend work to meet deadlines.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals.
- Some in-district travel may be required for the purpose of on-site systems testing, troubleshooting and repair.