Job Description – Technical Support Specialist
Technical Support Specialist
The Technical Support Specialist’s role is to ensure proper computer operations so that end
users can accomplish organizational tasks. This includes receiving, prioritizing,
documenting and actively resolving end user help requests. Problem resolution may involve
the use of diagnostics and help request tracking tools, as well as require that the individual
give hands-on help at the desktop level.
Strategy & Planning
- Evaluate documented resolutions and analyze trends for ways to prevent
Acquisition & Deployment
- Field incoming help requests from end users via both telephone and work
orders in a courteous manner.
- Document all pertinent end user identification information, including name,
department, contact information, and nature of problem or issue.
- Build rapport and elicit problem details from help desk customers.
- Prioritize and schedule problems. Escalate problems (when required) to the
appropriately experienced technician.
- Record, track, and document the help desk request problem-solving process,
including all successful and unsuccessful decisions made, and actions taken,
through to the final resolution.
- Apply diagnostic utilities to aid in troubleshooting.
- Access software updates, drivers, knowledge bases, and frequently asked
questions resources on the Internet to aid in problem resolution.
- Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by
- Perform hands-on fixes at the desktop level, including installing and upgrading
software, implementing file backups, and configuring systems and
- Test fixes to ensure problem has been adequately resolved.
- Perform post-resolution follow-ups to help requests.
- Develop help sheets and knowledge base articles for end users.
- Perform related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position.
Formal Education & Certification
- High School diploma or equivalent, and/or 1 year work experience in related
Knowledge & Experience
- Knowledge of basic computer hardware.
- Experience with desktop operating systems including Windows XP, Ubuntu
Linux, and Mac OS X
- Extensive application support experience.
- Working knowledge of a range of diagnostic utilities.
- Good understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening,
and questioning skills.
- Strong documentation skills.
- Ability to conduct research into a wide range of computing issues as required.
- Ability to absorb and retain information quickly.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
- Highly self motivated and directed.
- Keen attention to detail.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure
- Exceptional customer service orientation.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power
tools, and to handle other computer components.
- Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and
- Wash Tech/CWA
This position reports to the Technical Support Supervisor